As an appetizer or for brunch, it’s a treat that risks becoming a go-to favourite.
Eggs in a ham shell with spinach and cheese gratin
2 June 2017
- 24 slices Lafleur thin-sliced smoked ham
- 12 large eggs
- 170 g fresh spinach
- 3 French shallots, minced
- 60 ml (¼ cup) 35% cream
- Freshly ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 350 g grated Swiss cheese
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) melted butter
- Preheat oven to 190°C (375°F).
- Wash and drain the spinach.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Add the shallots and cook for one minute.
- Add the spinach and cook while stirring until the spinach has melted and the liquid has evaporated.
- Add the cream and nutmeg; season. Cook for two minutes and let cool.
- Brush the inside of a muffin pan with the melted butter.
- Line the inside of the pan with the ham slices in order to make shells, and let the excess stick out on the sides.
- Add a little grated cheese on the bottom of each ham shell.
- Put the cream spinach over the cheese and break an egg into each shell. Sprinkle on the remainder of the cheese.
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the ham is crispy.