Tomato rice casserole with sausages, vegetables and fresh herbs
Mention the word casserole and you think hot, flavourful and easy to make. You can almost see yourself around the table with the family, digging in to all that warm deliciousness.
- 1 package (650 g) Lafleur pure pork sausages
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 250 ml (1 cup) diced celery
- 250 ml (1 cup) mushrooms, cut into quarters
- ½ red pepper, diced
- ½ green pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 250 ml (1 cup) long-grain rice
- 250 ml (1 cup) poultry stock or water
- 250 ml (1 cup) tomato juice
- 2.5 ml (½ tsp.) dried oregano
- 1 ml (¼ tsp.) thyme
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) paprika
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) fresh basil, chopped
Blanch the sausages in a pot of boiling water for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Cut the sausages diagonally into large slices and set aside.
In a large pot, heat the oil, add the onions, celery, peppers and mushrooms, and cook for 2 minutes.
Add the sausages and cook for 2 minutes.
Add the garlic and the rice, mix well.
Add the stock (or water), tomato juice, oregano, thyme and paprika; salt and pepper to taste.
Simmer covered over low heat for approximately 30 to 35 minutes until the rice is cooked and there is no more liquid.
When done, garnish with fresh basil and serve immediately.