Crispy smoked sausage bites
With this recipe, you can easily picture yourself watching your favourite team or at a swanky cocktail party.
- 450 g (1 lb.) Lafleur Bar-B-Q wieners, cut into approximately 3-cm (1¼-in.) slices • 45 ml (3 tbsp.) canola oil
- 45 ml (3 tbsp.) canola oil
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) ground Cayenne pepper
- 250 ml (1 cup) flour
- 2.5 ml (½ tsp.) salt
- 5 ml (1 tsp.) baking powder
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup milk
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Oil for deep frying
- 150 ml (2/3 cup) plain yogurt
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) honey
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) fresh mint, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Combine all of the dip ingredients.
Set aside in the refrigerator.
Marinate the wiener slices in canola oil with the garlic, half the Cayenne pepper, the salt and pepper for 30 minutes.
In a bowl, combine the flour with the baking powder and the rest of the Cayenne pepper; season to taste.
In another bowl, beat the eggs with the milk and add to the flour mix to make a smooth frying batter.
Lightly drain the wieners.
Dip the wieners in the batter one by one and place into the hot oil, holding them for 5 seconds before dropping them into the oil, to prevent them from sticking to the bottom.
Deep-fry in the hot oil until the nibbles are golden brown.
Cut in two, skewer each piece with a toothpick, and serve immediately with the yogurt dip.