With pizza-like flavour in every mouthful, this is the perfect panini for having friends over or for a tasty lunch
“Pizzaiolo” wieners on grilled panini
2 February 2017
- 6 Lafleur wieners, thinly sliced
- 4 paninis
- 125 ml (½ cup) white mushrooms, sliced
- 125 ml (½ cup) finely diced coloured peppers
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) olive oil
- 250 ml (1 cup) grated “St. Guillaume” mozzarella cheese
- 75 ml (1/3 cup) grated “Île-aux-grues” mild cheddar cheese
- 125 ml (½ cup) tomato sauce
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) fresh basil
- 5 ml (1 tsp.) oregano
- 5 ml (1 tsp.) chopped garlic
- Freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 190°C (375°F) or the barbecue on medium setting.
- In a frying pan, sauté the mushrooms and garlic in olive oil for 2 minutes. Add pepper, drain well and set aside.
- Cut the paninis in half and brush the insides with tomato sauce.
- Divide the mushrooms, peppers and sausage slices equally among the paninis.
- Add the cheese and finally the herbs.
- Brush the outsides of the paninis with olive oil.
- Bake slowly in the oven or barbecue for 4 to 6 minutes.
- Grill until the cheese has melted.