Cajun rice with turkey sausage
- 1 package (300 g) Lafleur turkey sausages
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- ½ red pepper, diced
- ½ green pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 green onions, minced
- 1 cup (250 ml) long grain rice
- 1 cup (250 ml) poultry stock or water
- ½ cup (125 ml) tomato juice
- 2 tbsp. (30 ml) olive oil
- 1 ½ tsp. (7.5 ml) paprika
- 1 ½ c. tsp. (7.5 ml) Cajun seasoning
- Crushed red pepper flakes to taste (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
In a pot, heat 1 tbsp. oil, add onions, celery and peppers, cook two minutes, add garlic and cook another two minutes.
Add rice and mix well.
Add the stock, tomato juice, paprika, Cajun seasoning, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper to taste.
Cooked covered over low heat 30 to 35 minutes until rice is cooked and no more liquid remains.
In a large frying pan, over medium-high heat, add 1 tbsp. olive oil and fry sausages turning frequently. Remove sausages from pan and cut diagonally into pieces. Keep warm.
Spoon rice into serving bowls and top with cooked sausages.
Garnish with minced green onion when ready to serve.