Giant Sauerkraut hot dog with bacon lardons and old-fashioned mustard
Now that’s what you call a deluxe hotdog! This recipe is perfect for impressing guests or to go with a frosty pint of beer.
- 4 Lafleur Jumbo All-Beef wieners
- 4 small (6-in.) French crusty buns or baguettes
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) old-fashioned Dijon mustard
- 7.5 ml (1½ tsp.) honey
- 160 g (2/3 cup) store-bought sauerkraut
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 5 ml (1 tsp.) olive oil
- 100 g Lafleur uncooked bacon, minced
- 50 ml Riesling white wine
- Fresh thyme, to taste
- Ground cloves, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
In a pot, heat the oil and sauté the onions for 2 minutes.
Add the bacon and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
Add the sauerkraut, wine, thyme, cloves and ground pepper.
Cook on low heat while stirring from time to time until the liquid has evaporated.
Set aside, keeping hot.
Combine the mustard and honey.
Cook the sausages on the grill.
Toast the buns.
Brush the inside of the bread with the honey mustard.
Add the sausages and top the sauerkraut with bacon lardons.
Garnish with freshly chopped thyme.