Syrup & bacon beans
Beans are to the sugar shack what popcorn is to a movie theatre!
- 250 g (½ package) Lafleur maple bacon, chopped
- 750 ml (3 cups) dry white beans
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) maple syrup
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) Dijon mustard
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) dry mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
Soak the beans overnight at room temperature in a large bowl covered with lots of water, adding more water if the beans soak it all up.
Preheat oven to 300°F and place rack in middle position.
In a large pot, brown the chopped bacon for three minutes.
Add the onions and the garlic and continue cooking another two minutes.
Drain the beans and add to the pot along with the rest of the ingredients.
Cover the mix with cold water (about 5 cm over top) and bring to a boil.
Once boiling, place in oven and bake for about 4 hours. Add water if the beans absorb it all.