Picnic pork shoulder with spicy mango bbq sauce
With its spicy mango flavour, this recipe has that exotic taste you’ll never tire of.
- 1 whole Lafleur Picnic Smoked Pork Shoulder
- Mirepoix - mix of aromatic vegetables (diced carrot, onion, celery, bay leaf, thyme and pepper)
Spicy mango BBQ sauce
- 15 mL (1 tablespoon) of oil or butter
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) of white wine
- 1 ripe mango, peeled and diced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 60 mL (1/4 cup) of tomato paste
- 45 mL (3 tablespoons) brown sugar
- 22 mL (4 ½ teaspoons) of soy sauce
- 1.25 mL (1/4 teaspoon) of crushed chilli peppers
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Place pork shoulder in a large pan and cover with water and mirepoix mix.
Bring to a boil over medium heat and simmer for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
Melt butter in a pan and sauté garlic and shallot briefly. Pour white wine over and scrape up bits from bottom of pan. Reduce sauce by one-third.
Add mango and cook, covered, for 7 to 8 minutes. Reduce sauce to purée consistency, add lime juice, tomato paste, brown sugar, soy sauce and chilli peppers. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Remove pork shoulder from pan, remove net around meat, and place pork shoulder in an ovenproof dish. Save bouillon to use another time.
Baste meat with spicy mango BBQ sauce and cook in the oven for 30 minutes, basting frequently as it cooks.