Country-Style Picnic Smoked Pork Shoulder Pie
Patés can get tired fast, so here’s an alternative version that’ll have you looking at paté in a whole new light.
- 500 mL (2 cups) of Lafleur Picnic Smoked Pork Shoulder, diced
- 250 mL (1 cup) of potatoes, peeled and diced
- 250 mL (1 cup) of carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 15 mL (1 tablespoon) of olive oil
- 30 mL (2 tablespoons) of butter
- 30 mL (2 tablespoons) of flour
- 375 mL (1 1/2 cups) of milk
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) of 35% or thick 15% cream
- 1 pinch of ground nutmeg
- 30 mL (2 tablespoons) of fresh parsley, chopped
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 pie crust or package of puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten with a little water or milk
Preheat oven to 350 °F (175 °C).
Cook potatoes and carrots in lightly salted water in a large pan. Bring to a boil, turn down the heat and simmer till tender. Drain and place in a deep-dish pie plate with diced ham.
In the same pot, melt butter and sauté onion with celery till lightly browned. Add flour to make a roux.
Using a whisk, add cold milk bit by bit. Bring to a boil, turn down the heat and simmer till thickened.
Add cream, nutmeg and parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Pour sauce over meat mixture. Cover with pie crust and pinch edges to seal.
Brush crust with glaze and bake in the middle of the oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until the crust is golden.