Country-Style Picnic Smoked Pork Shoulder Pie
Patés can get tired fast, so here’s an alternative version that’ll have you looking at paté in a whole new light.
- 500 mL (2 cups) of Lafleur Picnic Smoked Pork Shoulder, diced
- 250 mL (1 cup) of potatoes, peeled and diced
- 250 mL (1 cup) of carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 15 mL (1 tablespoon) of olive oil
- 30 mL (2 tablespoons) of butter
- 30 mL (2 tablespoons) of flour
- 375 mL (1 1/2 cups) of milk
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) of 35% or thick 15% cream
- 1 pinch of ground nutmeg
- 30 mL (2 tablespoons) of fresh parsley, chopped
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 pie crust or package of puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten with a little water or milk
Preheat oven to 350 °F (175 °C).
Cook potatoes and carrots in lightly salted water in a large pan. Bring to a boil, turn down the heat and simmer till tender. Drain and place in a deep-dish pie plate with diced ham.
In the same pot, melt butter and sauté onion with celery till lightly browned. Add flour to make a roux.
Using a whisk, add cold milk bit by bit. Bring to a boil, turn down the heat and simmer till thickened.