Phyllo Nests with Ham and Vegetables in Bechamel Sauce
Small crispy phyllo bites are real crowd pleasers and this recipe is no exception!
- 4 sheets of phyllo pastry
- 30 mL (2 tablespoons) of melted butter
- 500 mL (2 cups) of Lafleur Authentique Slowly Smoked Ham, finely diced
- 125mL (½ cup) of peas
- 125 mL (½ cup) of carrots, diced
- 125 mL (½ medium) of onion, diced
- 125 mL (½ cup) of celery, diced
- 5 mL (1 teaspoon) of olive oil
- 500 mL (2 cups) of cold milk
- 30 mL (2 tablespoons) of flour
- 30 mL (2 tablespoons) of butter
- 5 mL (1 teaspoon) of garlic, chopped
- 5 mL (1 teaspoon) of thyme, chopped
- 5 mL (1 teaspoon) of chives, chopped
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
Nids de pâte phyllo
Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C)
Roll out a sheet of phyllo pastry on work surface and brush top with melted butter. Place a second sheet of phyllo on top and brush with more melted butter. Repeat until you have 4 sheets of phyllo, stacked and buttered.
Cut phyllo into four squares of equal size. Place each in a muffin tin, pressing down in the middle to form a nest.
Bake in oven for 2 to 3 minutes and set aside.
Melt butter in a pan and add flour gradually, mixing well. Add milk a little at a time. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes, whisking frequently. Add garlic, thyme, chives, nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste.